- Do include your company name, description, and location. Limit the description to 2-3 sentences.
Don’t feel obligated to put your company description at the top of the posting. Applicants are eager to learn about the job. Company information is fine to put at the bottom.
- Do include a job overview. This helps applicants get a sense of the job immediately. This belongs at the top of the posting and should be 2-3 sentences.
Don’t include the job details and requirements within the job overview.
- Do include qualifications and requirements. List out requirements vs preferred skills. For example, a requirement may be a B.A. in Communications or related field. A preference may be a Master’s degree.
Don’t include a laundry list of requirements without preferred skills. Your applicant pool will be much smaller and they will all have the same requirements, making it a tougher decision to hire. Preferred skills will help applicants stand out from the others.
- Do include a range in compensation and a list of benefits. This is the bread and butter of a job description. Applicants want to know what you’re offering compared to other businesses.
Don’t limit this section to the basics, i.e. insurance and paid vacation. Show off your company culture in this section. Do you have casual Fridays? Company outings? Wellness activities? Food deliveries?
- Do include how and where to apply for a job posting. Are you posting through a portal? Will the applicants email their resume and cover letter? Where can they fill out the application?
Don’t make the process too difficult. You’ll surely lose applicants if your application link or button doesn’t work. Is your job portal only compatible with certain browsers? Make sure you list software compatibility in the post.
Diversified Human Resources (DHR) is the leading full-service HR solutions provider based in Arizona, with offices in Denver. Since 1996, DHR has served thousands of Arizona and regional companies with payroll, benefits, HR administration, retirement, and workers compensation solution. Contact us today and learn how easy it is to tailor a plan to upgrade your HR function and improve your bottom line.